Monday, August 21, 2006

Probably A Bit Stupid....

but I chased a shoplifter today. I was returning from the post office (returning my Netflix, Ken Burns Jazz Disc 3) when I saw a guy exit our store from the emergency fire exit. Since our store was NOT on fire I took off after him. He rounded the back of the store and flung the Borders mesh bag into the car, which was parked on the road behind the store.
When I reached the car, he was still getting into it, so I kicked his plastic grill. It responded with a nice crack. Then I noticed that his passenger window was open, so I proceded to stick my arms in and started pulling out our merch. I reached in once, twice, three times and got back most of the stuff (6 DVD boxsets at $450) before he peeled out behind Kroger.
I was able to get the licence plate and since I was wearing the headset, I relayed his plate number to those in the store. When I called the cops, I gave them the plate and an approximate model (unless I've owned the car, I can't tell one from another.) About an hour later an officer told me that he was going to the address that the car was registered to.
About 3pm the officer called me and told me the got the guy. When the officer arrived to give me the rest of the stuff back (2 cds and a 1 dvd) he told me, not only was he able to bust the guy for stealing my stuff, but the cop found a 'good amount' of cocaine, crack and pot, along with needles at the house!
So, not only did I chase a guy (technically not a good idea in the eyes of the LP guys), but I chased a guy who was stealing to satisfy a drug habit and who could have been armed. All in all it was a good day.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You're Batman!

Julie said...

Actually, it was so fucking stupid that I can't believe the cop didn't pistol whip you.