Sunday, December 16, 2007

I Love Rock And Roll

Normally I don't listen to the radio, but tonight I'm glad I did.

It was the end of a long day; busy at both jobs, delivering in the rain, not having a raincoat. And I went looking for something else. All during delivering I listened to disc 1 of Drive By Truckers Southern Rock Opera, 3 times in fact.

Flipped around FM, looking for anything, found a DJ talking about Kiss. Figured this station might play something I would know, and possibly like.

So, now it's only drizzling, and the roads are empty, black and shiny. I'm sitting at the light in front of McCafe on Falls and this song comes on the radio.



I crank it right before the light changes and sing along.

The craziness at the bookstore, the crappy tippers, all disappear. It's the perfect song at the perfect time. It's better loud, too, always the sign of a good song.

It's then followed by this song, which I had never heard before, and I realize that people can still right a great rocking song.



A great rocking song must have 3 things:
1. An air-guitarable riff
2. A sing along chorus*
3. Thinly veiled sexually innuendo. The dirtier and simpler, the better.

Then, there was another commercial and I remembered why I don't listen to the radio any more. But for 7 minutes I was reminded why I love music.

Rock and roll music absolutely kicks ass when it's really good. It is truly my drug of choice and I am a slave to her.


*A sing along chorus AND a sing along verse make it a 'fucking great rocking song.'

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well written article.