Saturday, October 27, 2007

Dicks In The Rain

Driving to and from work today, I saw 4 accidents. Half involved 2 cars; the other two, 1 car and a stationary object (a pair of telephone poles).

It seems that in the two months since its rained people have forgotten how to drive in the rain. I've heard/made up that the worst time to drive in the rain is about 20 minutes after it starts because the rainwater forces the oils from in the road surface, to on the road surface making it extra oily slippery. After that amount of time the water washes the oils away leaving the road just plain wet slippery.

This could be something I just made up, or something I heard once, or something I twisted around. I honestly can't remember, but it makes sense.

If this is the case then maybe after such a long dry spell, there was extra amounts of oils in the roadway to be brought forth by the rain. Or maybe people just suck at driving.

Also, there is a douchebag in my complex who, instead of parking, decides to spin his wheels on the slick pavement driving around the main office multiple times. If we were near a cliff, I'd wish he'd drive off it, but I'll settle for him smashing into someone else's car, or maybe flipping it over on my neighbors lawn. Either of the two would suffice.

BTW - I borrowed The Decemberists "The Crane Wife" from work. Holy fuck is that a good album.

2 comments:

Joy said...

I was just the other day explaining that very "rain + oil = super slippery road" theory. Either one of us heard it from the other and it's a total lie, or it's absolutely true. I vote for truth.

I'll have to check out that album. Thanks for the tip.

Joy said...

Heh... The Crane Wife was in the bin of promos, so I took it. Turns out I already had it. Now I have two. Oops.