Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Utterly Addicted

I started playing this game, back when I knew it as Moria in 1988 when some guys at the computer lab at the University of Hartford clued me into it. Way back when my first major was computer science, so I got a job that gave me access to the computer room. I would sit at the desk in the front of the room and make sure no one caught the computers on fire. It was rather boring, but I got paid. The only excitment I had all semester was when we got a virus. It caused a ball to bounce around the screen and knocked letters out of word documents. Then I got kicked out of the dorms, quit the job and decided that computer science sucked as a major.

But back to the game. Moria was utterly addicting, I never made it past 11th level at Hartford, although my playtime was limited. You couldnt play the game if there were more than 20 people on the network of computers across the 7 or 8 computing rooms on campus, and that was all the time, except early in the morning, or during the overnights.

About 8 years ago, I was able to download it for my mac. Moria, it was glorious in all its black & white & crappy graphics glory. I played until my hand cramped up. The same game I remembered from Hartford. But it was on OS 9 and I hate loading 9 over OSX, so I stopped playing it.

Three days ago, I found it again, this time for OSX and already I can't feel the fingers in my right hand. Now called Angband, its in color (sort of) and better than I remember. My first real character died at level 25, which pissed me off because he had an awesome weapon.

Heres the link to download it for whatever system you have, even if all you have is your old Amiga. If you think it looks stupid, just try it. Start with something simple like a half-troll warrior, keep rerolling your stats until your strength is like 18/50+ and your con is over 18 as well, then head on down and start wacking shit. Angband

1 comment:

emperorp said...

the only stuff you need to ID are the potions and weapons/armor. and in the current Angband if you are a warrior type you get a 'feeling' about weapons and armor when you carry them.

'average' is regular stuff
'good' is magic stuff [ID that stuff so the buyers dont rob you]
'excellent' is the best stuff, the stuff you want to keep.

the wands/rods/staffs you can use to get an idea of what it is.

scrolls & potions you can sell and take the chance it was something good, but since the best potions are found deeper in the dungeon you'll have plenty of cash to ID all that stuff later.

the new version i am playing also gives you a 'feeling' when you enter a new level. most times its 'boring' which means basic stuff and basic monsters.
sometimes you get good feelings, which means stronger & unique monsters, but also real good loot. i just had one and had to fight Wormtongue, and he dropped the Broad Sword 'Glamdring' (+10, +15). for being on level 7 thats an insane weapon.

I've tried nethack, but kept getting killed by my dog